Sunday 27 September 2009

Klitchsko vs Arreola

Vladimir Klitchsko retained his WBC heavyweight title last night with a professional and methodical destruction of Mexican/American challenger Chris Arreola .
Arreola, who was attempting to be the first ever Mexican heavyweight champion could not cope with the superior weight, height and reach advantage of Klitchsko and suffered an almost whitewash of rounds.
Although not being knocked to the canvas the defeat was complete and he had taken terrible punishment before the judge stopped the Mexicans involvement going into the 11th round.
Klitchsko (38 W 2 L) , intelligently choose to fight in 2-3 jabs and hooks then would back around the ring off not being drawn into a close encounter brawl which would benefit the Mexican. His long arms peppered his opponents face and kept at bay any counters.
From the very first round Klitchsko tagged Arreola with combination flurries, retreat and return, occasionally laying precise hooks to the jaw which rocked the challenger.
Despite connecting with good shots in the 4rth and rallying in the 10th Arreola was picked off again and again by the champion leaving his face a bloody mess and it was clear that defeat was inevitable and further punishment would unnecessarily cruel and dangerous.
The previously undefeated Arreola was in gracious defeat
"I worked my butt off to be the champion but Vitali's strong, he hits hard and I never wanted to quit. That's never in me, I wanted to go the full 12 rounds,"
"I couldn't get to him, he was fighting the fight he was supposed to fight. He ran when he was supposed to and I just couldn't get to him.
"Whatever I did he found a way to counteract that. He found a way to win and I found a way to lose."

No comments:

Post a Comment